Friday, April 12, 2013

Capstone Tea & Fondue

I've never gone out for tea or fondue, so this was a great way to experience both for the first time.  Except for the fact that they didn't serve us our ice cream truffles (which were suppose to be included), it was a memorable experience with lots of yumminess to satisfy my sweet tooth.

 My friend and I walked in and were seated at a table for two right away. I handed over my SocialShopper deal which included 2 orders of High Tea Lite, 2 orders of Chocolate Fondue Sampler, Ice Cream Truffles & 2 Drinks for $29. The waitress asked us to order any drink per person, which I thought was pretty nice because everyone has different preferences on different days on what kind of drink they'd like to have. They had lattes, frappes, and teas of different types; including iced, flavoured, herbal, and fresh fruit teas. I ordered a latte which was a huge mug of rich and creamy goodness, and pretty soon afterward our dessert feast arrived.

The High Tea Lite set (per person) was a small tower made of 2 tiers. The bottom tier had a fresh cheese, mayo and spinach sandwich cut up into 4 pieces. It was simple but it was so good! (We had to request this to be made vegetarian because it usually is made with ham). Between the pieces were 4 individual-sized pastries including a danish, turnover, jam-filled croissant and a chocolate croissant, which were mediocre and to me tasted like average grocery store fare. The top tier had two macarons, a rasberry tart and a yummy chocolatey square. I'm not a fan of rasberry so that tart was blah to me, but the macarons and chocolate square were very good.


Our Fondue Sampler included, (also per person) a warm pot of rich belgian chocolate fondue (heated with a candle underneath) and a plate of treats to dip into the chocolate. Half of this plate was made of fruits: strawberry pineapple, grapes and apple; the other half was made of bite sized cakes and cookies. The items on this plate were nothing special and the cakes were not that good, but when dipped in the chocolate, they tranformed into yummy delights. (But this was obviously due to the chocolate).

 

Although everything was small, there was just so much food that by the end my tummy was near-bursting, and my friend had to take the rest of his home.

The food definitely deserves a 3.5 out of 5.

The service was mediocre, and given that they forgot to include our ice cream truffles, I would give it a 2.5 out of 5.

Ambiance was nice, but it felt more like an bubble tea cafe than a high tea and fondue place. I think a dark, romantic setting would have been more suitable. But it still was a nice place, and the presentation of the "meal" was very well done, so I will give them a 3.5 out of 5.

This joint only gets a 3.2 out of 5 overall, but I will definitely be back because I love the concept of an eatery dedicated to desserts, fondue and different kinds of drinks. It's so different from my usual eats, and different is good. So you can expect expect an addition to this review.

http://www.capstonetea.com/

Capstone Tea & Fondue on Urbanspoon


Update:

Went back a second time, and that will be my last. The afternoon tea that we ordered was lacking in quality and quantity. The sandwiches seemed a bit dry. The pastries seemed like the ones you would buy at Walmart or Superstore. Not worth the visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment