Thursday, October 4, 2012

Dark Table

Okay food, but otherworldly experience that made this new spot totally worth my Sunday night dinner!

Dark Table is one of the new blind dining eateries, where patrons dine in complete darkness. This means, once you walk in, it is pitch black inside and you can't even see what is around you, where you are sitting or what you are eating. A very intimate surrounding, because you can only touch or hear your dining buddies, which makes you that much more attentive.

Once we arrived, my boyfriend and I were greeted at the door and handed our menus from which we can choose one of 5 entrees and choose either dessert, appetizer or both dessert and appetizer, (2 or 3 course meal). There is even a surprise dish that you can choose as your main so you will have to figure what you are eating, and that's what I chose in Vegetarian. The appetizer and dessert are also a surprise by default.

Once we chose our meals, we were guided to our seats by a waitress who informed us on where to sit and what is in front of us on our table. While the waitress went to get our bread, we tried to get a sense of our surroundings and enjoyed the intimacy of the situation. We couldn't see each other or anyone around us, so we held hands just to feel grounded (?). We also noticed how everyone was talking loudly because no one can see who is saying what.

Before anymore discoveries, we were served our bread and butter which was crispy on the outside with a nice wholesome texture, yum! Now this is where it gets more interesting. So I tried spreading the butter on the bread with the butter knife, but the chunk of butter fell onto my plate. So I had to search for it with my fingers, place it on my bread and spread it again. Weird? I know...but no one was watching! Our main dish took a bit longer to arrive, and I still don't know what I had. It had some sweet pureed vegetable with roasted potatoes, which were alright, and cabbage which was pretty bad. I was quite disappointed with my main but I still enjoyed the experience of trying to find everything on my plate and trying to guess what I was eating.

Here is a picture of my dinner (credits to G):



Dessert came along, it was good but nothing special, but here, in the darkness, it was a whole new affair. First we tried to find out what our dessert was by touching it with our fingers, then tasted it and discovered we were having a decadent brownie with vanilla ice cream.

I definitely enjoyed this dinner, not because of the food, but because of the new intimate sensory experience. This night reminds me of this song:

"A whole new world,
 A new fantastic point of view..." - Tim Rice

Definitely a place to go for a romantic night out as well as for an adventure!

Stats:

Cost for this dish: $33 + TAX (as of September 30, 2012)

Address:
 
2611, West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6K 1P8
Canada
 
Cost of my meal: $33 + TAX (for entree and dessert only)

Reservations are highly recommended

Tel : 604-739-3275(DARK)

SUN-THU : 5.15PM-10PM
FRI AND SAT : 1st service @ 5:45 PM
                         2nd service @ 8:45PM

Dark Table on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1700004/restaurant/Kitsilano/Dark-Table-Vancouver

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/14/9434/Vancouver/Hungry-Vegetarian.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your help and support Greg! Really appreciate it :)!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/14/9434/Vancouver/Hungry-Vegetarian.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete